Thursday, December 8, 2011

Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Means Security, Privacy, and Less Hassle for Your Next Appointment


One of the most common complaints I have heard from patients in my years of medical practice is the cumbersome clipboard method of filling out private medical information.  To have enough time to fill it all out, patients would need to arrive at least 20 minutes before their appointment, hope the information didn’t get misplaced, and try to focus on answering family medical history questions, all while being stressed out.  

When I made my dream of my own practice a reality, I wanted to avoid the needless hassles of an outdated and clumsy paper patient file system.  I knew that the proper solution wouldn’t be cheap, but I also knew my patients are worth it.  I evaluated several different products before deciding on Digichart, the system we use now.  It was a big investment (over $30,000), but I knew it was essential to providing the very latest technological advances within reach of my patients.

What is so special about Digichart?  Here are just a few highlights:

  •         A user friendly interface that anyone can easily understand
  •         Fill out private medical information in the comfort of your own home
  •         Advanced encryption makes certain your medical records are secure
  •         No one sees your medical information except me or my medical assistant
  •         Lab portal allows test results to be viewed right from your computer at home
  •          All medical and surgical records are in one place
  •          Insurance billing and claims process is simplified
  •          No papers to get lost or viewed by unauthorized persons
  •          A “green”, environmentally responsible solution
  •          No need to arrive 20 minutes early to fumble with dog-eared clipboard questionnaires
 
As you can see from the list of benefits above, Digichart really is revolutionary in terms of medical information management from a security, convenience, and organizational perspective.  You can go into your records and review them any time you wish, to formulate questions for a follow up visit, or to remind yourself of when your last appointment was.

When I opened my practice, I didn’t cut corners anywhere, especially when it came to my patients’ medical record management.  When you make an appointment, I want you to be relaxed, not worried about remembering whether or not Great Aunt Martha had breast cancer.  The Digichart medical questions do take about 20-30 minutes to complete, but because you fill them out online, you can do so at your leisure, with a steaming hot cup of coffee, in your PJ’s, listening to your iPod.  It certainly beats scrambling to make it to my office early, being flustered, and not being focused in preparation for your appointment.  It’s vital that your Digichart records are filled out completely before your visit, to ensure we have a thorough history, including diseases that may run in your family, and how to best prevent certain conditions from taking hold before they happen.

My parents always taught me that if you’re going to do something, do it right, or don’t do it at all.  I hope with Digichart my commitment to this principle is clear, that nothing is too good for my cherished patients.

To Your Health,
Dr. Brenner

No comments:

Post a Comment